Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Funny People

This is a funny movie and suprisingly heartfelt. A movie about life. I will give this movie 2.75 out 4 stars, for now. It is subject to change based on the second viewing.

Side Note: Just before going to see this movie, I wrote a Facebook status saying, Seeing Funny People 2nite! and within 30 minutes two people had commented that this was a terrible movie. I think the exact words used were, worst movie ever and really bad. So, Heather and I had preconceived notions that this movie was going to be a bad one. Not to mention the 2:20 run time, but apparently this director, Judd Apatow, is known for making his averagely funny movies too long. He also directed Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin. My sister Stephani also came to this movie with us, this was special becuase she rarely goes to the movies.

I think because of the title of this movie (Funny People) everyone expected it to be hilarious slapstick funny. And it was funny, but it was also dramatic, or as dramatic as a comedy gets....

I think maybe audiences were dissapointed because they didn't get the usual Adam Sandler role. He wasn't the funny one in the movie and it threw people for a loop. Leslie Mann was good in this movie, but she wasn't really the one with all the laughs either. The three goof balls Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and Jason Schwartzman were the ones who made this a comedy. They are the little people in the world of stand-up comedy.

The movie is about how to make it as a comedian and in life. This movie had a lot of life lessons buried within, but people were so busy being disappointed at the lack of Adam Sandler jokes that they didn't even get the message of the movie.

So, in the end, moviegoers like my sister Stephani who go with a narrow view of how the movie should be leave the theater saying, that wasn't even funny or what a waste of 5 dollars.

Me and Heather on the other hand left the theater saying I really liked that.

Sometimes I enjoy seeing my favorite actors in an unexpected role.

It was a little too long....

No comments:

Post a Comment