Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Julie & Julia

Truly inspirational and cute. Go see it! I give this movie 3 out of 4 stars.

Side Note: I saw this movie with my father and stepmom. I also had a couple glasses of wine in me at the time. Never sit in one of the side rows of the theater. The theater was crowded and my stepmom hates sitting up close because she is snobby and high maintenance. So I was stuck sitting next to the aisle with the walkway to my right and a bar in the way of the screen. There were a group of three older men in the row in front of us without their wives...that was peculiar.

When I asked my sister if she wanted to see this movie with me she said, no way, it looks dumb. Maybe if I am really bored. Not everyone likes chef movies like you!

It is true. I do like movies about food and cooking. It is a sure way to get me in the door. But I also like Amy Adams and movies about life.

It is hard not to relate every movie you watch to your own life. I am a writer, I have a passion for food and cooking and I tend to be bored with my life and any situation I find myself in. I instantly put myself in the shoes of the main character. But this movie turned out to be very inspirational, an average woman of thirty who wanted to be a writer, but never really considered herself a writer found herself at a job that was o.k. but not her dream job. She wanted to eventually do more with her life but realized she was quickly running out of time. So what did she do? She started a hobby...and gave herself a deadline, and it worked out! She followed her instincts, her dreams and her gut and pulled through. This makes for a great movie, but it is a lot easier said than done.

Everyone says they will do something. I challenge myself to read more books than everyone I know. I challenge myself to be a food connoisseur. Some days the hobbies we pick and the goals we set for ourselves seem more fun and easier to accomplish than other days.

Meryl Streep plays the opposite personality in the film. She is outgoing, brilliant and living in a time when there is not much to be expected of a wife. Streep is also amazing at any role she is given...so really what more can I say?

I have to be honest...this movie made blogging sound fun, I guess I will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment